Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Paint, Paint and More Paint

When we decided that Danny and Spencer were going to have their reception at our house, we both looked around the family room with a big sigh. The walls are a mess we thought. We have lived here in So. Weber for over ten years and we haven't ever painted, there are holes in the walls from rearranging pictures, and oh so sweet little finger prints, and not so sweet dirt on all of the walls. So I said to Kevin, "I think that we need to paint." He agreed. But what color should we paint the walls? We could go the safe route and paint the walls the same color, or we could pick some new color to paint with. But what color??????

Brooke has introduce us all to the wonderful world of color-she isn't afraid to paint the walls or the ceilings in big bold beautiful colors. Watching her and seeing the results of her boldness made me want to do something a bit different. But I was, to be honest, a scared!

I don't know how many time I went to Home Depot and looked at colors. It was way worse than trying to pick our fabric! (and I hate picking out fabric) I knew the colors that I wanted for the family room and kitchen-a dark red-burgundy color, tan, black, and white. But I didn't know how it would look putting any of those colors on the walls.

I finally picked out a great burgundy and a tan (with Brooke's help), bought all of the paint, primer, brushes, and such the last Saturday of Snowbird (October). Kevin had rented scaffolding and brought it home Thursday or Friday while I was still at Snowbird. He and Brooke had taken everything off the walls and had done some patching of holes-it was great all of the not so fun stuff was done before I got home.

We decided to start with the tan paint because it was going to be the color of most of the walls, including the giant wall that the stairs are on.

Kevin and Brooke set up the scaffolding (Brooke is a little girl, but boy is she strong!)

Brooke up on the scaffolding putting on the first coat of paint. Thank you Brooke! Kevin putting down the plastic to protect the carpet

Spencer and Kevin painting the entry.

We got the primer on and I really liked the color(it was tinted to match the paint), then we put the paint on-I was shocked to say the least. It was not the color that I had picked out. At least it didn't look like the color that I had picked out. Then we start with the burgundy. The primer for the burgundy was a gray blue color.

Spencer also got up into the ledge over the kitchen and cleaned and painted that area. Thank you Spencer!

Danny got some clean up duty. She painted the wall with the windows tan, before I decided to repaint them burgundy. Thanks Danny you did a great job, really!

Not the color that I wanted but it still looked good with the white cabinets. Then we put the first coat of burgundy on. When the wall was all painted we stood back and looked at our work.

I LOVE the burgundy!


I loved the burgundy! It made the what cabinets look so beautiful and new! I just loved it. We decide that one wall of burgundy just wasn't enough. So even though we had painted the wall with the china cupboards tan, we primed it and painted it burgundy. I loved it! But I hated the burgundy and the tan together.

See the tan was just to golden.

The tan was so golden it looked bad with the burgundy. I didn't know what to say, because we were all done painting the tan. I finally got up the guts to say something to Kevin. He was very understanding, and he wasn't real fond of the tan either. So it was back to Home Depot to try to pick out a better tan.

I was going crazy!!!! I took a bunch of paint chips over to Brooke(she was at work at America First) and we went outside to look at the color. I must of had about twenty or so paint chips. We narrowed it down to Burnt Almond. I crossed my fingers hoping that I would like this new color.

We put on the primer-I liked that, then we put on the color......I liked it!

Since we need to paint over the tan on the wall with all of the windows, I decide that two walls of burgundy just wasn't enough. So the tan became the accent color instead of the main color.

I love the burgundy! I know that it is not every one's favorite color-but I love it!

We lived with this mess for a few weeks, but it was all worth it!


The paint warms up the big room, and makes it feel cosy and comfortable! Thank you Kevin for putting up with all of my crazy decorating ideas. You are the GREATEST!!!!!

1 comment: